Voted “One of the North Bay’s Best Places to Work”, Peterson Mechanical is a Sonoma-based mechanical contractor providing a single source for reliable mechanical systems in the San Francisco Bay Area, specializing in HVAC, plumbing and refrigeration for a wide variety of market sectors including Healthcare, Technology, Education, Office Space, Hospitality, Winery, High Rise and Low Rise Residential. Peterson Mechanical provides pre-construction, pre-fabrication, custom fabrication, design/build and plan/spec. solutions for San Francisco, Oakland, Sonoma, Solano, Marin, Napa and the surrounding areas. We are currently seeking a Controller to join our team.
Reports to: CFO Job Status: FULL TIME
FLSA Status: EXEMPT EEO Category: Managers and Supervisors
Supervises: PR Adm/AP Coordinator
Contracts Administrator Manager
Wage Grade: VIII
The Controller directs, plans, controls and reports the overall financial activities of the Company including banking, regulatory compliance, finance, accounting and third-party required reporting. Oversees financial Information Software System, budgeting, credit and collections. The Controller manages financial risk, implements approved cost-saving measures and assists in the Company’s overall financial health and profitability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administrates company’s accounting enterprise software system
- Monitors successful completion of daily cash and deposits, weekly payroll, payables and receivables tasks
- Performs monthly, quarterly and annual closing activities.
- Provides complete working papers for outside accountants; participates in annual review
- Provides financial reports to the Board and senior management monthly.
- Produces work-in-progress reports and overhead assessment reports monthly
- Attend weekly work-in-progress meetings with Project Managers
- Monitors successful contract administration, billings and client relations related to such.
- Assures PMI compliance with local regulatory and tax requirements and reporting, including GAAP
- Assures proper recordkeeping procedures, including retention and destruction per company policy
- Provides banking and bonding reporting requirements
- Develops, proposes and implements financial forecasting and planning tools as needed to support senior management strategic planning efforts.
- Coordinates and reports out the budgeting process for overhead and indirect costs for senior management review and approval.
- Monitors internal controls and assures tracking and protection of company assets. Coordinates tracking of IT assets with IT Manager.
- Analyzes and reports financial data for financial and operational performance, including Company performance against key performance indicators at least quarterly.
- Coordinate with senior management to reduce risks related to insurance claims and coverage.
- Coordinate with senior management on outstanding litigation
- Assures financial operations support Company credit and bonding worthiness
- Partners with senior management to identify and implement cost-saving measures, succession planning and support services as needed.
- Identifies competitive rates and fees by researching competition for needed services
- Coordinates payments for company 401K and Profit Sharing Plan; works with HR in plan administration as needed
- Mentors and trains direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in cash management, forecasting and financial analysis experience
- Effective time and project management experience; history of meeting commitments and deadlines
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and online banking procedures
- Sense of urgency and understanding of importance of deadlines.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Construction Industry experience; experience in a union environment
- Experience with Vista by Viewpoint
Prolonged standing/sitting; occasional walking. Manual dexterity required for computer work. Occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs. Office work environment. Moderate noise level. Reasonable accommodations will be made available.