Administrative / Human Resources Assistant
The overall function of this job is to ensure that the executive management team are provided the administrative tools necessary for them to successfully complete their job. Additionally, this position will assist the Human Resources department with day-to-day tasks. The Administrative / HR Assistant will be extremely proactive with a professional, courteous and approachable demeanor in all interactions; possess superior interpersonal relations skills with all staff, customers, vendors, etc.; and sound judgment, confidentiality and discretion. The Administrative / HR Assistant will have a thorough understanding of SMI’s overall organization and publications, including its management and operating structure, policies and procedures.
This position is responsible for:
- Perform overall calendar management to include scheduling appointments, meetings, and outside professional obligations; and keeping the CEO on-track daily. This function requires forward thinking; anticipating conflicts and resolving issues; communicating changes; and remaining abreast of all organizational events, meetings and visitors in order to schedule the executive’s time appropriately.
- Assists the Human Recourses department with items such as recruitment, onboarding, offboarding, etc.
- Coordinate meetings including but not limited to preparing and distributing agendas and other meeting materials, reserving and preparing facilities, purchasing and preparing food and refreshments, and recording and transcribing meeting minutes.
- Assists with the front desk responsibilities as needed, including distribution of mail and packages, postage, visitors, etc.
- Assists the event team with the coordination of company sponsored events, including, but not limited to holiday parties, company picnic, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other SMI Executive Assistants on special projects and day-to-day activities.
- Responsible for overseeing employee recognition programs including employee of the month, new hire wine tasting and tour event and CEO brown bag luncheons.
- Reconcile travel expenses and prepare reimbursement requests.
- Plan and manage logistics for executive-level and organizational-wide meetings and events such as all employee town hall meetings and annual leadership retreat. Record meeting minutes when needed.
- Coordinates and/or assists with special projects as assigned.
- Exercises considerable judgment and discretion in handling requests pertaining to employee relations, appointments and telephone calls, etc.
- Responsible for coordinating events in the executive conference room and ensuring that it is stocked accordingly with all applicable supplies.
- Oversee the adjacent copy and supply area to ensure it is properly stocked, maintained and organized.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential issues.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2 years of diverse administrative experience preferred.
Prior Human Resources experience preferred.
Background of accounting business systems a plus.
Must possess a valid California State Driver’s License be able to provide proof of insurance.
Must have a reliable vehicle.
Ability to create, compose and edit written materials.
Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a newspaper.
Skill in the use of computerized spreadsheet and word processing software.
Strong analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills and abilities.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers and employees on-and off-site.
Ability to organize and maintain own workflow and meet deadlines.
Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
Must be able to operate standard office equipment.
Individual must have computer skills and knowledge of the Internet
Intermediate level with business-oriented software, i.e. Microsoft Office.
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off.
We are committed to a drug- and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon completion of a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To apply, please complete an application on our career page, and include a resume and cover letter.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement: SMI is committed to creating a safe work environment for all employees, independent contractors, vendors and guests. All employees are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccine and be subject to booster shots as recommended by the CDC. Medical reasons for not being vaccinated and religious objections will be carefully reviewed to determine if an accommodation can be made.
Sonoma Media Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer
SMI Diversity & Inclusion Statement
The primary duty of a media company, at its core, is to seek out and tell the truth through its journalism. At the same time, we must maintain a company culture that is inclusive and free of discrimination of any kind.
We at Sonoma Media Investments, LLC, acknowledge the difficult truth that over the course of our long history, we have not always been consistent or effective in fulfilling another duty, to protect and defend those who are trivialized, disregarded, sidelined or treated unfairly in our community, and within our own company.
We at SMI are committed to creating and maintaining a company culture that is actively antiracist and scrupulously inclusive within our company’s work environment, and in how we report on and engage with the community we serve, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, national origin, faith, age, ability or size. We pledge to promote equality and humane treatment of others, and to oppose prejudice, indifference, sexism, intolerance and hate. This we will do through our hiring, promotion and retention practices, through our advertising programs and customer service, and through our news coverage and community engagement.